From my last post you will see that a Nutella cheesecake dessert in an old family favourite Italian restaurant inspired me to try out this dessert at home. I’d never made a cheesecake before and had heard Nutella was a relatively easy one thanks to it being a no bake cheesecake. I’d also pinned on Pinterest a while ago Nigella’s recipe which is bound to be a good one right?!?!
As always I tweaked it a little so if you want the original then here it is. I was also unsure as to what topping I’d prefer and as you can see from the photos I split it half and half, with snickers on the one side and roasted hazelnuts on the other. Personally I liked both but after quite a few people trying both toppings I went for the roasted hazelnuts the following weekend when I made it for a BBQ I was having. I toasted and crushed my own hazelnuts but I do believe you can buy them already done and if you do use snickers I’d recommend chopping the bar up a little smaller if possible. I used one snickers for half the cheesecake so you’d probably need two for the entire thing.
Ingredients – serves 8
250g digestive biscuits
100g unsalted butter, soft or melted
70g icing sugar
500g light cream cheese
Nutella, whole jar 400g
100-150g Roasted Hazelnuts or 2 Snickers bars
- Break half of the digestives into a food processor with half of the butter and blitz. Add the remaining half of the digestives and butter and blitz again.
- Add a tablespoon of Nutella and 3 tablespoons of the roasted hazelnuts. Pulse your food processor until you have a damp sandy biscuit base.
- Tip into a 9inch spring form tin and press down firmly into the base. Place tin in fridge for at least ten minutes to chill.
- Spread a thin layer of Nutella (no more than 4 tablespoons) to the top of biscuit base in the centre and work outwards leaving 2 inches around the outer edge. Return to the fridge while preparing the topping.
- In a bowl beat the cream cheese and sieved icing sugar until smooth.
- Add the remaining Nutella to the bowl and beat again until combined and smooth.
- Remove tin from fridge and spread the Nutella cream cheese mixture over the base smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Scatter the remaining hazelnuts on top of your cheesecake or position the sliced snickers bar to top.
- Return to the fridge to set for at least 6 hours or ideally overnight.
- Serve straight from the fridge.