So here it is … my first ever blog … A successful dish in the kitchen so I’m hoping these easy to make Homemade Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs are successful online too.
This dish came about from a 30sec video my friend posted on Facebook last week and all I caught of it was the first few seconds where it showed a meatball with cheese oozing out of the middle. I knew from those first 3 seconds I had to try them out.
Now I’ve always loved Italian food which my mum is most definitely to blame for and with meatballs being her favourite Italian dish I was shocked when I realised I’d never made my own.
They can’t be that hard right! She says and then forgets to defrost the mince!
Definitely a blessing in disguise however as I got an absolute bargain at our local Sunday market paying £7 for 3lb of beef mince! Plus defrosted mince is never as good to cook with and can go mushy – who wants mushy meatballs!
The meatballs don’t take long to make at all and can quite easily be left to cook in the oven with little attention. If you are pushed for time you can always use a Dolmio tomato based sauce instead of making your own from scratch.
Ingredients – makes 20 small meatballs
1lb ground beef mince
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup grated cheese of choice (I used gloucester as this was all I had in the fridge)
Salt and Pepper to season
- Preheat over to 180degrees.
- Place all ingredients minus the mozzarella into a bowl and mix with hands kneading the mixture.
- Cut mozzarella into cubes.
- Roll slightly larger than a golf ball portion of the meat mixture in hands. Using your thumb press into the middle of the ball to create a dent and insert a cube of mozzarella. Fold the meat mixture back around the cheese and roll again in hands to reform the meatball.
- Repeat this process until you have used all of the meatball mix.
- Once the meatballs are made and placed in an ovenproof dish cover with a tomato based Italian sauce of your choice. (I made a sauce with passata, tomatoes, tomato puree, red wine, splash of worcester sauce, garlic, parsley, red onion and a red pepper – simmering on the stove for an hour and a half)
- Cook the meatballs covered in sauce in the oven for an hour.
- Serve with spaghetti or courgetti and sprinkle with parmesan.
Hearty little balls of pleasure to enjoy ❤